Being Freelance and Fitting It All In
I’m about a billion blog posts behind at the moment. My drafts folder has about eight thousand half finished posts in (and obviously when I say half finished, I mean a blank post with a title). I’ve been to some bloody brilliant events and happenings recently but am struggling to find the time to write them up, mainly because for once in my life, my work schedule has just gone mental.
I mean I AM SO BUSY. Being freelance has many pros and cons, (one massive pro being that I’m punching this out sat out in my garden in my knickers in blazing sunshine with a cold diet coke and my feet dabbling in the water feature at the moment) but one of the major cons is how unpredictable it can be. Sometimes being freelance can mean staring out terrified at all the barren, blank pages of your diary wondering how the hell you’re going to feed yourself and your goldfish over the next six months. Other times, you can get so many offers of work that it’s actually a bit overwhelming- if any other freelancers are like me, I tend to just accept everything, as I’m just grateful for the work and then I worry later about how I’m actually going to fit it in.
Over the next couple of weeks here’s a sample of the things I’m doing.
- Being an event photographer for a corporate company
- Designing, writing and running vocal and public speaking workshops at the BFI
- Designing and writing two weeks of performing arts summer schools
- Meeting with production company about potential cabaret work
- Beginning rehearsals for a SHINY NEW SHOW (read more about this venture HERE!)
- Directing ‘Annie’ for my theatre academy (OMG THE SHOW IS LITERALLY IN THREE WEEKS GAHHHHH)
- Being a wedding singer
- Being a theatre critic
- Trying to catch up on blogging
- Editing 70 headshots
- Designing a lighting/sound plot
- Doing administrative work for a local performing arts company
- Copywriting work
- Attempting to maintain some sort of social life
It sounds like I’m whinging AND I PROMISE YOU I AM NOT BECAUSE HOLY HELL I NEED THE WORK AND THE MONEY LIKE I NEED AIR but when it all comes smack bang at once and you end up trying to juggle everything well and wear a hundred different hats all at the same time, your brain can get a BIT MUDDLED AND STRESSED. And you end up dropping the ball somewhere, or seeming like you’re being a bit of a shit friend if you have to duck out of social things and then GUILT AT SAYING NO IS THE WORST.
So basically, what I think I’m trying to say is if anyone DOES reads this ‘ere blog regularly or I owe you a blog post write up of something and you’re thinking WHERE IS SHE, I am very sorry and I am trying to GET BACK ON SCHEDGE SOON. (Though tbh I am not sure anyone is rrrrrrrrrrreally that bothered. HAHAHA AS YOU WERE).
Also just a huge hug to all the freelancers out there juggling commitments and work and life and trying to pave a career path without losing your mind. WE GOT THIS GIRL.
RIGHT LOVE YOU BYE GOTTA GO TAKE OVER THE WORLD TTYL